Friday, September 7, 2012

2D Animation Class: Day 2- Five Shapes in a 3D Environment

Day 2 of 2D animation class was actually not so bad. I came prepared for the insults of the professor this time (thanks again, Malcolm!) and I was determined to let him know where I stand on my drawing level and I let him know that "YES, I DO LOVE ANIME!" My classmates told me he despises Japanese animated cartoons, but that is one of the fields of expertise I wish to accomplish in my lifetime. So regardless of who dislikes it or not, I'm going to keep a peace of it in my art work.

When I showed him some of my older works he said "oh, that's good.... mhm... you should bring that in the winter time..." ever so calmly as he passed by.
I was a bit confused at first, so I questioned him with a "why?"
He replies "those would be good to put under my tires..." and he walked off to look at the other student's work. I only laughed. I know he's not a fan of Japanese Animation so I thought nothing of it. I didn't even take his insult to heart. But when I showed him my newest sketches of 2012 homework assignments, the ones I posted on this blog last week, he said  "good, nice" and because he had no insult to dish out to them, I could tell he was impressed.

Shortly after, the class began. We got to prop up the light boxes before switching on the light and mounting our paper on them. The professor requested that we sharpen an H or HB pencil for this exercise. He started us off drawing very round, perfect circles. Each circle had to be exactly the same shape and size; sides touching. When drawing the circle you would first start off motioning your hand in a circle, the tip of your pencil hovering just above the paper. When your hand was warmed up after about 5-8 rounds, you would, at first, lightly press the tip of the pencil to the paper still following the circular motion. When you were confident enough that you had the motion and the size down, you would continue and press hard for a darker outlining of the circle. When continuing to the next circle you were to look back at the last for reference and make it exactly the same. Ever circle after that should be using the very first circle you drew as reference for the the next. This way you would not stray from the original by making each circle smaller, wider, or taller than the next.
The next shape to draw was the oval. It was similar to the circle of course but you had to stretch it out a bit making it so each oval was exactly the same but proportionate to the circle. The professor told us to imagine that the circle was full of sand and that if we were going to pour all of that sand into the oval it would have to fill it up completely. Which means they would have to be the same Volume. Volume is the quantity of three-dimensional space enclosed by some closed boundary, for example, the space that a substance (solid, liquid, gas, or plasma) or shape occupies or contains.
The same concept is to be applied to the last 3 shapes presented; the triangle, rectangle and square. These shapes are not to touch each other. Each one as I mentioned before, must be drawn proportionately. Keep in mind that when drawing the triangle the professor wants it to be a triangle with 3 equal sides. He said (and I quote) "isosceles", which is the term for a triangle with at least 2 equal sided, however the correct term for a triangle with 3 equal sides is an equilateral. So do your best to draw an equilateral each time. Take your time!
These are my practice sheets. When the professor went around to check on everyone's he was criticizing on shape and proportion. The first time he passed me he said "OK". The second time he passed me by he didn't say anything. When he was on the other side of the classroom he announced, "if I pass you by it means you're doing fine." As you can tell, he doesn't like to give out too many compliments but at least I know I'm doing well in his class. :)
Note To Classmates: This is an assignment he's probably going to check up on later. Divide your paper into 10 sections with one line straight down the middle of your paper while it's turned on landscape. Draw the circle, oval, triangle, rectangle and the square 10 times  like so. Remember to finish each set before going onto the next set.

Day 2 is not through! To be continued... (in the next post)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rate me! Let me know what you think of my art work and your experience with my service in your comments!